What is the plan?
After fixing the end stops on the garage door, I decided to also make a new controller for it. I am going to make this with an Arduino and make my own program for it.
The controller is going to keep track of where the door is, so it can stop it a different places than just fully opened or fully closed. It will at the same time also log on my WiFi, and will be able to be controlled from a secure website.
Besides controlling the door, it will also monitor my mailbox and send me an email (via my nas) to my Android phone.
When all that stuff works, I am going to extend it more, so it also can monitor rain fall, temperature and humidity.
First step, power supply.
After showing my first (and failing) version of the power supply on the forum on Arduino.cc, I got a lot of tips on how to do it right. And here are all the parts, bigger capacitors, big diodes instead of the diode bridge (so the 27V~ wouldn’t come too high for the voltage regulators), 2A voltage regulators instead of 1A, 9V to feed the Arduino with power through the VIN istead of 5V, 12V for the relays and TIP102’s to drive the relays.
A little overview, the box in the top right corner is almost PERFECT for an arduino plus a shield on top.
The capacitors to remove all ribble after the diode.
Diodes to convert the AC to DC (not going for a bridge because it will raise the voltage over what the voltage regulators can handle)
2A Voltage regulators, 9V for the Arduino and 12V for the relays.
Heat sink for the voltage regulators, a bit overkill? Maybe by better a bit too big than too small.
The TIP102’s that will drive the relays.
Relays that are rated 10A 250V AC~ / 10A 30V DC=
Absolute door position
To always know the absolute position of the door, i made this little device. The multi turn pot allows the tape measure to move 2 meter and 45 centimeters, that is plenty for my door, which only moves 1 meter and 95 centimeter.
This is perfect for what I want to do. It got a pin in the middle of the drum, but also uses an outer ring to hold it in place.
All I had to do was to make a big enough hole through the middle of it, and drill two small holes in the drum.
The two holes in the drum allowed me to bend a piece of grounding wire, and put the ends in the holes with the pot meter mounted on.